I’m trying to firm up my GDC schedule. (Though, as you will see below, I’m failing miserably in that regard.) For people reading this blog who are going to be there: this is what I look like, please say hi! The only meal I have scheduled right now is dinner on Thursday, if anybody wants to get together.
- 9:00am: Iwata’s keynote.
- 10:30am: Evolving Game Design: alas, Ueda and Suda51 beat out Clint Hocking.
- 12:00pm: Vaguely leaning towards Threaded AI For The Win!, but Bungie, Media Molecule, and even eating lunch are all possibilities.
- 1:15pm: Massive Software Complexty, I guess. (A 60-minute poster session sounds odd, but what do I know, and he’s from BioWare.) Or lunch.
- 2:30pm: Probably The Game Design Challenge, though I’m a bit curious about what the Level 5 folks are saying.
- 4:00pm: Not sure: Halo in the Laboratory, Moving Targets: How Audience Demographic Shifts & Trends are Changing Gamer Attitudes, or Stop Wasting My Time and Your Money: Why Your Game Doesn’t Need a Story to be a Hit?
- 9:00am: Not sure, there really are a bunch of contenders, but the top two right now are Valve’s Approach to Playtesting: the Application of Empiricism and GDC Microtalks.
- 10:30am: Kojima’s keynote.
- 12:00pm: Lunch, I think.
- 1:30pm: Again, I’m torn: I suspect I’ll end up hearing about Noby Noby Boy (how can I resist a session listing its takeway as “This class will be a refreshing change of pace”?), but BioWare and Valve are strong candidates, too.
- 3:00pm: Tentatively leaning towards Experimental Gameplay Sessions, except I just noticed it’s two hours long. Hmm. Other possibilities: Helping Your Players Feel Smart: Puzzles as User Interface or Master Metrics: The Science Behind the Art of Game Design.
- 4:30pm: Kind of thinking But What I Really Want to Do is Make Games, but the Bloggers Social Gathering is certainly a possibility.
- 7:30pm: Dinner.
- 9:00am: My twitter feed suggests I should go to Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap: Design Lessons Learned from Rock Band, and who am I to argue?
- 10:30am: I’m torn between two panels, Burned by Friendly Fire: Game Critics Rant and Stretching Beyond Entertainment: The Role of Games in Personal and Social Change.
- 12:00pm: Maybe Producing Fable 2? Or lunch?
- 2:30pm: Probably Lionhead Experiments Revealed, though my programming side is slightly tempted by Zen of Multicore Rendering.
- 4:00pm: I’m leaning towards Mass Effect 2 over Far Cry 2
Any advice? Any sessions I didn’t list that I really should go to?
This post has not been revised since publication.