My pages now have sidebars. And are a bit more colorful. Yay.

It didn’t turn out the way I envisioned. At first, I was planning for there to be a darker color (grey, which turned into pink) across the top and left, and for there to be white not just in the data area but to its right and below it. I couldn’t figure out how to get that to work without using a background image, though, which I didn’t want to do. And I actually think the design that I ended up with is just as good as that would have been; as is, it’s sort of reminiscent of a card in a card catalog, which is a nice memory for people my age or older.

I also haven’t managed to control the positioning and spacing as well as I’d like. If you make your window narrower, you’ll notice that the links on the left get pushed down even while there’s still a fair amount of white space which could be compressed instead. And in my browser, the ‘dbcdb’ at the top and the links on the left have their left sides lined up, but that’s more or less by accident and fiddling with numbers; I doubt that will be true for other browsers.

So clearly I have more to learn about CSS, let alone about web design in general. Still, it’s an improvement over the extremely austere former design. Next, to start populating the list of links on the left…

Post Revisions:

There are no revisions for this post.